英国古典文学吧 关注:482贴子:45,979

回复:金边夹鼻眼镜 归来记 英 阿瑟·柯南·道尔

只看楼主收藏回复

他说:“这完全取决于我所吸的这些烟卷。
He said, " it all depends on the cigarettes I smoke.
也有可能我完全错了,不过,烟卷会告诉我的。”
It is also possible that I am completely wrong, but the cigarette will tell me. "
我惊讶地说:“亲爱的福尔摩斯,你怎么——”
I said in surprise, "dear Holmes, how did you-"
“你会明白的。
"You will understand.
如果不是这样,并没有害处。
If not, there is no harm.
当然,我们还可以再去找眼镜店这个线索。
Of course, we can go to the optical shop again.
可是如果眼镜店这个线索不对头,我就找到了解决问题的捷径,啊!
But if this clue of the optical shop is wrong, I have found a shortcut to solve the problem, ah!
马可太太来了! 我们和她好好谈五分钟,这对于破案会有启发的。”
Mrs Kyle is here! Let's have a good talk with her for five minutes, which will be enlightening for solving the case. "


IP属地:天津76楼2023-01-07 09:33
回复
    我早就应当指出,如果福尔摩斯愿意的话,他是很会讨好女人的,并且他还能很快就取得她们的信任。
    I should have pointed out long ago that Holmes would please women if he wanted to, and he could gain their trust quickly.
    没有用五分钟,他便得到了这位女管家的信任,并且和她谈得很投机,象是多年的老朋友一样。
    Within five minutes, he gained the trust of the housekeeper and talked with her like an old friend for many years.


    IP属地:天津77楼2023-01-07 09:52
    回复
      “是的,福尔摩斯先生,正象你说的那样,一定是有什么不好的事情,使他不断地抽烟。
      "Yes, Mr. Holmes, just as you said, there must be something bad that makes him keep smoking.
      有的时候简直是整天整夜地吸烟。
      Sometimes it's like smoking all day and all night.
      有一天早晨我到他那儿去,屋子里满是烟气,就象伦敦的雾那样浓。
      One morning when I went to his place, the room was full of smoke, as thick as fog in London.
      可怜的史密斯先生也吸烟,但是不象教授吸得那样厉害。
      Poor Mr Smith also smokes, but he doesn't smoke as hard as the professor.
      对于教授的健康,哼,我不知道吸烟是有好处还是有害处。”
      For the health of professors, hum, I don't know whether smoking is good or bad. "


      IP属地:天津78楼2023-01-07 10:24
      回复
        福尔摩斯说:“啊,可是吸烟妨害食欲。”
        Holmes said, "ah, but smoking disturbs appetite."
        “先生,这我不懂。”
        "Sir, I don't understand this."
        “我想,教授吃东西一定很少。”
        "I think the professor must eat very little."
        “我应该说,他的食量时大时小。”
        "I should say that his appetite is sometimes big and sometimes small."
        “我敢打赌,他今天早晨一定没有吃早饭。
        "I bet he didn't have breakfast this morning.
        我看见他抽了这么多支烟,大概午饭也吃不下了。”
        I saw him smoking so many cigarettes that he probably couldn't eat for lunch. "


        IP属地:天津79楼2023-01-07 11:15
        回复
          “先生,你输了,事情和你想的完全不一样,他今天早晨吃得很多。
          "Sir, you lost, things are completely different from what you think. He ate a lot this morning.
          我从来没有看见过他吃这么多,而且午饭他又要了一大盘肉排。
          I've never seen him eat so much, and he ordered a big plate of steak for lunch.
          真叫我吃惊。
          I'm surprised.
          可是我呢,自从昨天早晨我看见史密斯先生倒在屋里地板上起,我对吃的东西就连看都不想看了。
          But as for me, since I saw Mr. Smith lying on the floor in the house yesterday morning, I don't even want to look at what I eat.
          是的,世界上有各式各样的人,教授可没因为这件事吃不下饭。”
          Yes, there are all kinds of people in the world, and the professor can't eat because of this. "


          IP属地:天津80楼2023-01-07 11:40
          回复
            整整一个上午,我们在花园里消磨过去了。
            We spent the whole morning in the garden.
            斯坦莱·霍普金到村子里去调查一些传言,据说前天清早有几个孩子,在凯瑟姆大路上,看见了一个奇怪的女人。
            Stan Hopkin went to the village to investigate some rumors, it is said that a few children saw a strange woman on the main road of Kasem the day before yesterday.
            至于我的朋友呢,听到这个消息,他就变得象一个有气无力的人,我从来没有看见过他这样心不在焉地处理案子。
            As for my friend, when he heard the news, he became like a weak man, I have never seen him deal with cases so absently.
            甚至连霍普金带回来的消息,也没能引其他的兴趣。
            Even the news that Hopkin brought back failed to attract other interests.
            霍普金说:“有的孩子确实看见过一个相貌完全象福尔摩斯所说的那样的妇女,她带着一副眼镜,也许是夹鼻眼镜。"
            Hopkin said, " some children have indeed seen a woman who looks exactly like Holmes said, she wears a pair of glasses, maybe pince-nez glasses. "


            IP属地:天津81楼2023-01-07 11:54
            回复
              吃饭的时候,苏珊一边服侍我们,一边也积极地讲了一些情况。
              When we were having dinner, Susan served us, and she also spoke positively about some situations.
              他的话倒引起了福尔摩斯的极大兴趣。
              His words aroused Holmes' great interest.
              苏珊说:“昨天清晨史密斯先生出去散步,回来只有半小时,便发生了这件惨案。"
              Susan said, "yesterday morning, Mr. Smith went out for a walk and came back only half an hour before this tragedy happened. "
              我实在不能理解散步这件事对整个案情有什么影响。
              I really can't understand how the walk affects the whole case.
              可是我清楚地看出福尔摩斯把这件事纳入他对整个案件的解释里了。
              But I can clearly see that Holmes has included this matter in his explanation of the whole case.
              突然福尔摩斯站了起来,看了一下表。
              Suddenly Holmes stood up and looked at his watch.
              他说:“两点了,先生们,我们该上楼去了,和我们这位教授把事情谈个明白。”
              He said, "it's two o'clock, gentlemen, it's time for us to go upstairs and talk things over with our professor."


              IP属地:天津82楼2023-01-07 12:32
              回复
                这位老人刚刚吃过午饭,桌上的空盘子说明他的食欲很好,女管家说得很对。
                The old man had just had lunch, the empty plate on the table showed that he had a good appetite, the housekeeper was right.
                当他转过头来,闪烁的目光投向我们时,我感到他确实是个神秘的人物。
                When he turned his head and looked at us with twinkling eyes, I felt that he was indeed a mysterious figure.
                他已经穿好衣服,坐在火旁的一个扶手椅上。
                He has dressed and sat in an armchair by the fire.
                嘴上仍然抽着烟。
                Still smoking a cigarette.


                IP属地:天津83楼2023-01-07 12:56
                回复
                  “福尔摩斯先生,你搞清这个离奇的案子了吗?"他把桌子上靠近自己的一大铁盒烟卷,推向福尔摩斯一边。
                  "Mr Holmes, have you figured out this bizarre case? "he pushed a large iron box cigarette close to himself on the table to Holmes' side.
                  于是福尔摩斯伸出手去,不料他们二人把烟盒打翻了,烟卷滚了满地。
                  So Holmes held out his hand, only to find that the two of them knocked over the cigarette case and rolled it all over the floor.
                  我们只好跪下来,到处拣散落的烟卷,足足用了一两分钟。
                  We had to kneel down and pick up scattered cigarettes everywhere, it took us a minute or two.
                  当我们站起来的时候,我看到福尔摩斯眼睛里闪烁着光芒,他的两颊显得特别红润。
                  When we stood up, I saw Holmes' eyes shining, and his cheeks were particularly rosy.
                  在他脸上一现即逝的这种临战的表情,我只在最危急的情况下,看到过一次。
                  I've only seen this kind of fighting expression on his face once in the most critical situation.


                  IP属地:天津84楼2023-01-07 13:26
                  回复
                    他说:“是的,我已经弄清楚了。”
                    He said, "yes, I have figured it out."
                    霍普金和我目瞪口呆。
                    Hopkin and I were dumbfounded.
                    老教授憔悴的面孔不停地颤动着,同时露出讥讽的嘲笑。
                    The old professor's haggard face kept trembling, and at the same time he showed sarcastic ridicule.
                    “真的! 在花园里?”
                    "Really! In the garden? "
                    “不,在这里。”
                    "No, here it is."
                    “这里! 什么时候?”
                    "Here! When? "
                    “就是现在。”
                    "It's now."
                    “福尔摩斯先生,你一定是在开玩笑。
                    "Mr Holmes, you must be joking.
                    我不得不提醒你,这是件极其严肃的事情,不能这样随随便便。”
                    I have to remind you that this is an extremely serious matter and can't be so casual. "


                    IP属地:天津85楼2023-01-07 13:50
                    回复
                      “考芮姆教授,我的结论的每个论点,都是经过调查核实的,所以我敢肯定它是对的。
                      "Professor Kerim, every argument of my conclusion is verified by investigation, so I'm sure it's right.
                      至于你的动机是什么,以及在这个奇怪的案件中,你扮演了什么角色,我还不能确定。
                      As for what your motivation is, and what role you played in this strange case, I'm not sure yet.
                      过几分钟你或许会亲口对我讲。
                      You may tell me yourself in a few minutes.
                      为了给你个方便,还是由我来把这两天发生的事叙述一下,这样你也可以明白我还要查问什么。
                      For your convenience, let me describe what happened in these two days, so that you can understand what I have to ask.


                      IP属地:天津86楼2023-01-07 13:52
                      回复
                        “有一位妇女昨天走进你的书房,她来的目的是要拿走你写字台柜子里的文件。
                        "A woman walked into your study yesterday, the purpose of her visit was to take away the documents in your desk cabinet.
                        她身上带有一把钥匙,至于你的钥匙,我已经检查过,你的钥匙上没有那个划痕能够造成的轻微退色。
                        She has a key on her body, as for your key, I have already checked it, there is no slight fading caused by that scratch on your key.
                        我从有关证据得知,你并不知道她来抢文件,所以,你不是从犯。”
                        I know from the relevant evidence that you didn't know she was coming to grab the documents, so you are not an accessory. "
                        教授吐出一口浓烟,说:“这倒很有趣而且对我颇有启发。
                        The professor exhaled smoke and said, " this is interesting and enlightening to me.
                        那么这位女士的情况,你已经弄清了不少,当然你也能说出她以后的行动喽?”
                        So you have found out a lot about this lady, and of course you can tell her future actions? "


                        IP属地:天津87楼2023-01-07 14:34
                        回复
                          “不错,先生,我是要说的。
                          "Yes, sir, I want to say.
                          起初你的秘书抓住了她,为了脱身,她就抓起小刀向这位秘书刺去。
                          At first, your secretary caught her, in order to get away, she grabbed a knife and stabbed the secretary.
                          不过,我倾向于把这个案件看成是不幸的偶然事件,因为我认为这位女士并不想刺死秘书;如果是预谋杀人,她必定自己带着武器。
                          However, I tend to regard this case as an unfortunate accident, because I don't think this lady wants to stab the secretary to death; if it was premeditated murder, she must have carried her own weapon.
                          结果,她做的事使她非常害怕,她不顾一切地要赶快逃走,不料在和威洛比厮打的时候,她丢了眼镜。
                          As a result, what she did made her very afraid, she was desperate to run away, but when she was fighting with Willoughby, she lost her glasses.
                          她很近视,不戴眼镜什么也看不清。
                          She is short-sighted and can't see anything clearly without glasses.
                          她沿着一个过道跑,以为就是来的时候走的过道,凑巧的是两边过道全铺着椰子毛织的垫子。当她知道走错了的时候,已经太晚了,退路已被切断。怎么办呢?
                          She ran along an aisle, thinking that it was the same aisle when she came. Coincidentally, both aisles were covered with coconut wool mats. When she knew she had gone wrong, it was too late and the retreat had been cut off. What should I do?
                          她不能退回去,又不能站在那儿不动,她只好继续向前走。
                          She can't go back, and she can't stand still, so she has to keep going.
                          她上了楼梯,推开房门,便来到你的房中。”
                          She went up the stairs, pushed open the door and came to your room. "


                          IP属地:天津88楼2023-01-07 15:12
                          回复
                            老教授坐在那儿,张着嘴,目不转睛地看着福尔摩斯,脸上露出极度的惊讶和恐惧。
                            The old professor sat there, his mouth open, staring at Holmes, his face full of surprise and fear.
                            他故作镇静地耸耸肩,发出一阵假笑。
                            He shrugged calmly and gave a fake smile.
                            他说:“福尔摩斯先生,你的推论很不错,可是有一个小漏洞。
                            He said, "Mr Holmes, your inference is very good, but there is a small flaw.
                            你知道,我一直在屋里,一整天都没有离开过。”
                            You know, I've been in the house, and I haven't left all day. "
                            “考芮姆教授,我知道这一点。”
                            "Professor Kerim, I know that."
                            “那就是说我躺在床上,没有注意到有位妇女来到我屋里?”
                            "So I was lying in bed and didn't notice a woman coming into my room?"
                            “我并没有这样说。
                            "I didn't say that.
                            你注意到有人来。
                            You noticed someone coming.
                            你和她讲话,你认识她,并且你协助她逃脱
                            ”You talk to her, you know her, and you help her escape. "


                            IP属地:天津89楼2023-01-07 15:56
                            回复
                              教授又高声笑了起来。他猛地立起身,眼睛里飘着最后一线希望。
                              The professor laughed loudly again, he stood up with a jerk, the last glimmer of hope floating in his eyes.
                              他大声喊道:“你发疯了!
                              He shouted, "you're crazy!
                              你在说胡话!
                              You are talking nonsense!
                              我帮助她逃脱?
                              I helped her escape?
                              她现在在哪儿?”
                              Where is she now? "
                              福尔摩斯指着放在屋子一角的一个高高的书柜,冷静地说:“她在那里。”
                              Holmes pointed to a tall bookcase in the corner of the room and said calmly, " there she is."


                              IP属地:天津90楼2023-01-07 16:23
                              回复